Subscribe:

Pages

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Postmodern Watch

In Dan Kimball's excellent book "The Emerging Church" we learn that one aspect of the post modern mind is that it accepts contradiction. 1 + 1 does not always have to equal 2, and that's okay.

I read something the other day that reminded me of this. MTV's popular live show TRL (Total Request Live" will no longer be entirely live - they'll tape the show two days a week. The show's name won't be changed, says spokeswoman Marnie Black. "We're not changing anything. The spirit of the show is going to be exactly the same."

So a live show, titled as such, will no longer be live. Sometimes. And that's okay.

2 comments:

C. M. White said...

I wrote a song the other day with the line, "Truth is relative, but oh, the sky is blue. Inconsistency's the only absolute."
I really dislike postmodern thinking. While I agree with some aspects of the movement (such as humility when it comes to thinking we know things...we are finite creatures), I think there have been some mass philosophical errors made in the last couple of decades.

AndyM said...

Don - this question has nothing to do with your blog entry; but after listening to some of your worship underscores, I had a question. What kind of pad are you using on the keybord? I play keyboards at my church and am unhappy with most of my pad choices - but I relaize that I just might not know what's what.

I appreciate your help and your ideas. Kindly, Andy